Although no one plans to get stuck on the side of the road while traveling, it is important to prepare for unfortunate events by packing an emergency roadside kit. Your kit can be as comprehensive or as basic as you choose, but here are some of the items we at Bill Walsh Toyota think are necessities.
- ToyotaCare information card
- First aid kit
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Bottled water
- Energy-rich snacks like trail mix or energy bars
- Rechargeable battery stick
- Pocket knife
- Ice scraper
- Collapsible shovel
- Extra windshield washer fluid, antifreeze, and brake fluid
- Two quarts of oil and a funnel
- Extra fuses
- Roadside flares
As you create your emergency kit, be sure that you know how to use all of the supplies in it. You won’t want to fumble around trying to read or research directions in the midst of an unexpected situation that is likely to make you frazzled already. Of course, feel free to add optional items like a good book or a travel game to keep yourself entertained as you wait.
Ideally, you won’t ever have to use your emergency kit, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.